Tuesday 3 March 2009

Haslemere - The revolution happened here (honest)

Friday 28 Nov 08 - Back on the road again!The genteel Surrey town of Haslemere may not on the face of it seem the most obvious place for a revolution, but that may be about to change. The 21 businesses that were represented at the lunchtime Peal Networking Club event showed increasing belligerence as they castigated the media for focussing on the negative aspects of the current situation and not acknowledging the many businesses who are still doing very well. Perhaps that is the answer - a bottom up revolt - maybe it will have more effect on boosting the economy that any top down Government action. Power to the people, as John Lennon used to say.

Earlier at the IOD West Surrey branch breakfast we were all encouraged to think of skills that we had developed in 2008 and what we would be aiming to improve in 2009. My offering was working on my running skills to enable me to complete my first half marathon, a choice I justified when questioned by saying that it was an ideal way of pushing me beyond my comfort zone, improving my strategic planning (getting through 13.1 miles required a systematic approach in terms of running speed and time goals) and gaining the focus and determination to achieve a seemingly impossible target, all skills that could greatly assist my clients.

Suitably inspired my colleagues then decided that in 2009 they were going to focus on improving their juggling skills, unleashing their inner cartoonist and becoming the best know left handed bass guitarist since Paul McCartney. All in the best interests of our clients you understand………

No comments:

Post a Comment