Tuesday 3 March 2009

Antony on the road (3)

Wednesday 19 Nov 08 - Attended a Tax briefing on investigations with Baker Tilly (http://www.bakertilly.co.uk/)in Guildford which among other things concentrated on the new penalty regime and appeals process.My head was buzzing as they rattled through a number of changes seemingly designed to simplify and improve matters, but given the number of issues that are yet to be clarified by HMRC would appear to mean that a considerable about of bedding in is going to be required.I freely admit that I am glad that I don’t do tax. Obviously I am aware of the major issues affecting businesses and am able to manage tax advisors on behalf of clients but I don’t provide advice or deal directly with HMRC on a day to day basis. Our tax system is in dire need of simplification, not least in that it would provide some certainty to taxpayers, advisors and HMRC frontline staff themselves. However given the need that the Government has for cash I can’t see it happening for some time to come.However it was great opportunity to catch up with a number of small practitioners, all of whom were sceptical that Alastair Darling would be able to do much to get his billions through quickly enough to make a difference in the short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment