Tuesday 3 March 2009

Antony on the road (5)

Friday 21 Nov 08 - No events to attend today so a good chance to catch up with paperwork and the latest thinking of the media pundits on Monday’s pre budget statement. (No mention of client work I hear you say - well the reality is that client work is a priority whatever else I do and therefore continues to be dealt with expeditiously regardless of the other things that I do). Most seem to agree that it was the right thing although more and more were realising that it would require significant tax increases further down the line. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7741397.stm) Most of the suggestions (leaks?) coming out so far indicate that the Government is looking to put money in the hands of consumers to encourage them to spend. Maybe this is the answer although my own view is that it is lack of confidence and job security rather than lack of money that is stopping people spending. I would have though that a package of measures to help business cash flow and encourage job conservation would be cheaper and much more effective but I guess I am only an accountant so what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment