Saturday 26 June 2010

15 seconds of fame

Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. Of course he lived in the more leisurely sixties, and if he was still alive today and coping with our ever decreasing attention spans, he would surely have rejoiced in the fact that everybody’s day in the sun would now be much briefer than he ever would have envisaged.

Anyway my 15 seconds have arrived. I was quoted in parliament yesterday during the budget debate, in a speech made by Mary Macleod, the newly elected MP for Brentford and Isleworth. In true deprecating accountant manner, it was not something I actively sought. I was asked by the Hounslow Chamber of Commerce to provide a suitable comment for inclusion in Ms Macleod’s speech, which I did. The rest, as Andy Warhol would no doubt say, is history.

OK it may have been slightly tarnished by the fact that they got my first name wrong, but that isn’t unusual, and at least they spelt the surname correctly. Maybe the gods of fame might take pity on me and allow me another 15 seconds some other day…

No comments:

Post a Comment